Congratulations! You’ve made an excellent decision to protect your car’s paint job from pollution, contaminants, and minor damages. Whether you’ve chosen paint protection film or ceramic coating, they need some special attention.
Let’s take a look at a few tips to keep your vehicle in mint condition longer.
XPEL Paint Protection Film Maintenance
Even though you still need to wash your vehicle regularly, you’ll notice that it doesn’t get as dirty as it used to.
1. Don’t Touch the Film After Installation
It may take several days (at least 48 hours) for the protection film to settle and cure. Try to avoid touching the film for about a week after installation. Don’t worry about some bubbling during that period. It should go away once curing is complete.
Low temperatures and high humidity could delay the curing process.
2. Don’t Wash Your Car After Installation
While the film is settling and curing, don’t wash your car. Ideally, you shouldn’t even drive in it. However, if you can’t avoid driving, be careful about putting pressure on the coating. It can help avoid problems with the curing process.
3. Be Smart About Cleaning
Ideally, after installing the film, you should forget about commercial car washes. Yes, giving them up may be tough, but if you want the coating to last longer, you need to.
At least, visit these car washes less frequently. Be careful not to use a pressure washer near the edges of the film.
- Apply car wash soap using a clean microfiber mitt.
- Soak hard-to-clean spots with soap for several minutes.
- For extra tough spots, use 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner.
- Dry the coating with a microfiber towel.
- Never use brushes, terry cloth or paper products to clean your coated vehicle. They will dull the surface or, in some cases, damage it.
- Remove dead bugs and dirt droppings immediately. They may leave permanent stains on the film.
- Pay special attention to the film’s edges where dirt builds up.
- Never use any abrasive materials.
4. Invest in High-Quality Cleaning Products
Try not to use low-quality car wash soap. It may contain harsh chemicals that damage the film or dull the coating. Choose shampoos with lubrication additives.
When you buy a microfiber mitt, make sure it’s specifically designed for auto care.
If you decide to wax the film, make sure it doesn’t contain Naphtha or Kerosene with a concentration of over 5%. Avoid waxes with dyes.
XPEL offers a variety of maintenance products for its films. However, high-quality car maintenance soaps, shampoos, and wax can do an excellent job as well.
Ceramic Coating Maintenance Tips
Caring for ceramic coating is somewhat similar to maintaining the XPEL paint protection film. Here are a few extra tips to follow.
1. Wash Your Car Twice a Month
No matter how clean your car appears, make sure to clean it every other week. It can keep the coating in mint condition.
2. Avoid Direct Sunlight While Washing the Car
Direct sunlight creates heat, which coupled with car wash soap and water could damage the coating. Consider washing your vehicle in shade or inside a garage.
3. Use Separate Buckets and Mitts for Wheels
Tires collect small abrasive debris from the road. If you use the same microfiber mitt for both tires and the car’s body, you may damage the coating.
The key part to remember about the paint protection film and the ceramic coating is that they aren’t “bullet-proof”. Even though maintenance is simplified, you still need to care for your vehicle.
Invest in high-quality washing gear, avoid abrasive products, and wash your car regularly to enjoy the “dealership” look for a long time to come.
For more information about paint protection films, ceramic coating, and their maintenance, please contact us today
- Ceramic Tint vs Regular Tint: What’s the Difference? - September 1, 2023
- XPEL Window Tint: The Superior Choice for Vehicle Heat Reduction - June 5, 2023
- Is 2023 a Good Time to Buy a Car? - March 30, 2023